Wednesday, April 8, 2009

To grump or not to grump

We had a midnight room change.

This unsettled Shae and meant that neither of us had a particularly good sleep. She was definitely a grump when she woke up this morning.

The day, however, seems to be improving as we go. Fluid output has been the same for the past 3 days now (which is somewhat discouraging for me), but one of the drains has no output so that one may come out tomorrow. We walked off the ward and down to the Starlight Room where Shae beautifully coloured in an easter egg picture which was shown on the hospital television station.

The room Shae is now in has children who are more her age. And the nurses seem even better equipped to cheer up, care for and entertain the kids, which is fantastic. When I left her this morning to have a shower and breakfast she was cross at me for leaving. By the time I returned she was smiling and happy. Hooray!

She is feeling pretty good within herself generally, though there are certainly moments when she's just had enough. She has no qualms about letting the nursing staff know how she feels about being prodded and poked and fed yucky medicine. It is at those moments I find myself in a mummy dilemma - do I push for best manners at all times or do I just let her get it out of her system (afterall, I can understand why she is feeling like she is!!). I'm trying to strike an appropriate balance. I think that after Shae has had a chance to wake up each morning, realise where she is and deal with that concept, she is also getting better at accepting it and getting on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment