So, about this toe of mine. It is officially broken. I've seen the x-ray (not that I needed that as proof - the angle the toe was pointing in was enough to convince me!). The GP I saw on Monday morning sent me off for an x-ray, I saw the film, dropped it back in to the GP and then thought it was all over except for taping the poor injured soldier up straight until healed.
Wrong.
The doc gave me a call at about 4:30pm saying that she had looked at the film, discussed it with some colleagues and concluded that it is a bad break which has displaced the toe and therefore has the potential to not heal properly and cause all sorts of future pain/joint/arthritis issues. I need to see a specialist to ensure the toe heals properly. I will need to get a special boot to assist with this. For a toe? Really? She assured me that a boot would be the best option as I would be able to take it off in the shower, for instance, and on the plane. The plane! How long will I have to wear this thing for?? Admittedly, there are less than three weeks before we fly out but I am living in la la land about the reality of how little time that is and the idea of wearing a boot (no matter how convenient it is) for my final weeks in Oz is more than a little frustrating. I am grateful, however, for the doctor following up with me so well and that if this gets sorted out properly now I may be able to avoid long term problems.
We went to see Avatar with David and Jane tonight. I haven't found the right words to describe the experience yet, but it was pretty amazing. When we left the cinema and made the obligatory girls rest room stop I was chatting to Jane about the saga of my toe. She made a comment that perhpas it was a heroic and somehow fitting picture that I will end up limping toward the finish line here. Perhaps it is. Many things have been broken during our Australian season. But as we read in Ecclesiastes - everything has a season. A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to weep and a time to dance.....
No comments:
Post a Comment