The thing that failed to sound an alarm for me was that is was a "hot" class (even though Fi did remind me that it was going to be pretty warm in there). For some reason that sounded absolutely fine to me (more sweating = good hard workout). I don't know why my brain didn't immediately recall the numerous heat induced fainting episodes and blood noses I've experienced since I was a teenager. Is this really a minor detail????
Anyway, in we went and sat chatting (well, we whispered cause you're not supposed to talk in the studio so technically I think we were okay) in the quite warm room. We were sweating already. Then we started. I was just as inflexible and lacking in coordination as normal, but it was kind of fun. Until the sweating increased and the stars started encroaching on my view..... Now I had an important choice to make. Do I keep going (because I do love a good hard workout) and risk passing out? Or do I stop for a drink and a little rest and see how I go? My face was as red as a tomato. I had a drink and a rest. Did this help me cool down? Not one bit!! After all, it was 40 degrees in there! I tried to do a bit more. Nope, the risk wasn't worth it. I gritted my teeth and decided to make a bee line for the door (which was at the front of the room). My safety is, after all, more important than how silly a bunch of strangers may think I look.
I got intercepted at the door by the instructor, who suggested I sit down right there and drink some more water. Whether I wanted to or not, the decision seemed to have been made for me. There I sat at the front of the class, cooking. I moved back to my mat next to Fi and made a galant attempt at some of the floor work but just couldn't find the inner drive to push myself to fainting. I sat still. The instructor suggested I lie down. I did. And there I lay, cooking. Feeling ridiculous (as well as thankful that I am now old enough to not really care whether I looked foolish or not).
And so, hot yoga is not for me. I am pleased to report that I didn't faint. Neither did I vomit on the way downstairs to the changing rooms (though I felt like I might) or have a blood nose. And ironically enough, while I was quite definite I didn't want to do a class that involved any spiritual elements, I spent about a third of the class lying down praying to my Father God....
Ha ha ha dear Denby... that was a good way to start my weekend... reading about your yoga class... I tell you, things we invent to do in this life of ours! As you said, it's good being old enough not to care if you look or not foolish! Hurray to maturity! Love and keep sending up dates of the Tamms in HK. Hugs and kisses, Los Bragas
ReplyDeleteVery funny! And interestingly my friend in Canada was telling me on FB (you must join by the way!!) that she went to hot yoga in a sauna last week and will never go back. At least in Cananda you can go outside to the cool. Love to all xxx
ReplyDelete