Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Chop Chop!

I have a new toy.

Last week I finally took a bold step and bought a good, sharp knife. After almost 16 years of matrimony and making dinners with my Wiltshire Staysharp (apparently not) knife I bought a Global G-55 chefs knife. And I now wonder how I didn't go totally insane in the kitchen before now?? Or maybe I have and everyone is too polite to tell me! Anyway, I cannot believe how much of a difference it makes having the right tool for the job.

To top off the joy of my new purchase, my friend Stephanie (who is a chef by trade) came over and gave Fi and I a private knife skills lesson. You should have heard the squeals of delight emanating from my kitchen. Noone would have guessed that what was going on in there was onion chopping.....and carrot julienning.....and orange segmenting. The carrots and oranges were consumed as we went, the onions were saved and caramelised for Sunday's BBQ.

I have been practicing at any opportunity since. Yesterday I made a divine apple tart using my finely sliced apples (who needs a mandolin when you have a G-55??) and the Careme pastry that I was overjoyed to find in the freezer section at Taste on Saturday.

Does it sound like I have been watching a little too much Masterchef?

PS Oh, and my first attempt at creme patisserie for the tart was tasty, but not quite to Matt Preston's standands I fear - will have to do some more practice. Shame!

1 comment:

  1. Hello dear Denby
    Loved to read your posting and thanks for the tips. Since photography has become a professional thing, cooking is now my hobby... poor Joel, LOL!
    Love and many kisses to the 5 of you,
    Odila

    ReplyDelete